Healthcare and Insurance

All students entering Estonia are strongly recommended to arrange their own health insurance for the period of their study abroad before leaving their home country. Health insurance should cover health, accidents and hospital care.

Health Insurance

  • EU/EEA citizens are entitled to the same social welfare benefits in Estonia as Estonian residents. Therefore, students from EU/EEA countries should obtain an EU health insurance card from the social service authorities in their home country before arriving in Estonia. In addition you can obtain private health insurance
  • Students from Non-EU/EEA countries have to obtain internationally valid private health insurance. It is recommended to make an insurance contract in your country. But it is possible to do it also in Estonia. Some opportunities: ERGO (health insurance contract can be signed after arrival to Estonia) and KindlustusEst.

Health insurance is necessary if the Non-EU/EEA citizen is applying for the temporary residence permit for study in Estonia.  

Health Care

  • One can reach an ambulance on 112 from all over Estonia.
  • 24 hour medical telephone counselling 1220.
  • Emergency medical service and accident ward (Erakorraline Meditsiin) - The accident ward and the emergency medical service unit have opening hours round the clock and one may seek help from them especially at weekends and at night time when family practitioners are off duty (you do not need to make an appointment for that). You can find both the emergency medical care unit and the accident ward from L. Puusepa 8, Tartu. Tel: + 372 731 81 82 See map

Family practitioners in Tartu

Service fee on the first visit  and home visit is 3.20 EUR. You need to make an apointment before you visiting the family physician.

We recommend: Medicum Perearstikeskus AS, Turu 2, Tartu. phone +372 731 22 60. See the map.

Medical Care Structure in Estonia: 

Family practitioner (perearst) is the first person to consult with in the case of illness. The family practitioner sends the person to a medical specialist, gives advice concerning the prevention of diseases, takes preventive measures and issues health certificates, (certificates of incapacity for work) and prescriptions. In case of acute illness the family physician must see the patient the same day, otherwise within 3 working days. It is possible to register with a family practitioner by submitting an application to the selected practitioner.

Specialist - All specialists’ visits are organized through the family practitioner.  No referral is needed to visit a psychiatrist, gynaecologist, dermatovenerologist, ophthalmologist, dentist, pulmonologist (for tuberculosis treatment), infection specialist (for HIV/AIDS treatment), surgeon or orthopaedist (for traumatology). In the case of a foreign student, it is advisable to choose all the specialists through the family practitioner or the medical advisors.  Usually specialists have consultations in the polyclinics and there is  a few-week waiting line.  In the private clinics waiting lines are rather short. 

Ambulance service (kiirabi) - Ambulance service is free of charge in case of emergency or unavoidable medical aid. You can reach ambulance on 112 (toll free line) from all over Estonia.  

Pharmacies (apteek) - Pharmacists can assist with simple medical problems.  Even though, most of the drugs are issued upon a medical prescription written by a doctor, some of the painkillers, antacids, ointments, and other simple drugs could be obtained without one. There are several pharmacies around town, but you will most likely find one in any of the big shopping centres.  

Dentists (hambaarst) - For adults, dental care is not free.  Usual visit may cost from 30 EUR upwards depending on the given problem.

Hospitals and Dentists: